Well, it’s 2020. That means we get to look back at all the incredible wildlife we saw and heard in 2019!
It’s always fun to revisit some highlights from the year, and to make a list of the “top birds” (read: most exciting for any reason). A fun way to do this that a good friend of mine uses involves listing the top 3 birds from each country you visited during the year, and listing your top 5 birds and top 5 mammals overall.
I really like the added mammal element. And with my increasing interest in butterflies, dragonflies, plants, etc., I’ll probably add other categories in future years.
Top 5 Birds Overall
1. Greater Prairie-Chicken — Rothsay, MN
2. Roseate Spoonbill — Golden Meadow, LA
3. Purple Sandpiper — Presqu’ile Provincial Park, ON
4. Tricolored Heron — Grand Isle, LA
5. Piping Plover — Elmer’s Island, LA
(This was much easier than most years since I only visited two countries.)
Top 5 Mammals Overall
1. Orca — Vancouver–Victoria Ferry, BC
2. North American Porcupine — Sax-Zim Bog, MN (and highway 401 outside Kingston, ON)
3. Humpback Whale — from Iona Island in Richmond, BC
4. Northern Short-tailed Shrew — Ottawa, ON
5. Harbour Porpoise — from Iona Island in Richmond, BC
Please add your highlights in the comments below!
If they come from exotic and far away places, great! If they come from your backyard feeder, just as good! And feel free to add other categories if you’re interested in other aspects of our amazing world.